AlcoholEdu for College
Whether or not you decide to drink alcohol while you are at USC, AlcoholEdu for College will assist you in making well-informed decisions and responding to the possible drinking-related behaviors of your peers. AlcoholEdu for College provides awareness training, alcohol abuse prevention, and safe drinking tips for current USC students.
Designed for students entering college, this interactive online program uses the latest evidence-based prevention methods to create a highly engaging user experience, inspiring students to make healthier decisions related to alcohol and other drugs. This course includes tailored content that will:
- Engage abstainers, light to moderate drinkers, and frequent drinkers with customized messaging
- Educate students on mental and physical effects of alcohol
- Prepare students to engage in bystander intervention
- Overview of Key Definitions
- Myths and Misperceptions
- Alcohol and Motivation
- Standard Drink
- Blood Alcohol Concentration
- Key Strategies for Drinkers
- Key Strategies for Non-Drinkers
- Bystander Intervention Skills
- Academic Brain Science
- Media Literacy and Expectations
- Alcohol and the Law
- College, Drinking and Stress
How to Access:
- The module is available on MyUSC in the “My Services” section. Click on the ‘Safety and Wellness’ widget.
- In the “Online Courses” tab, select AlcoholEdu for College and you will be directed to the registration page.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I access the course?
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:
- Always sign in at: my.usc.edu
- In the “My Services” section, go to the Safety & Wellness widget
- In the “Online Courses” tab, select AlcoholEdu® for College and you will be directed to the registration page
* You will be notified by email when Part 2 of AlcoholEdu® is available (30-45 days after you complete Part 1).
What if I miss the deadlines?
If you miss the Part 1 deadline, finish Part 1 of AlcoholEdu® as soon as possible. There is a 30-45 day intersession between Part 1 and 2. Finishing Part 1 as soon as possible will impact your completion date for Part 2 of the course.
If you miss the Part 2 deadline, a REGISTRATION HOLD will be placed on your student account. You will still be able to access and complete PART 2 after this time, but there may be complications with removing your registration hold. Holds are automatically removed within 30 minutes of your completion of Part 2. If you still have a hold after 1 hour (60 minutes), send an email with your student ID, along with a screenshot of your course completion and a screenshot of the registration hold to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I have already taken the course at another institution?
All incoming first year and transfer students are required to take AlcoholEdu® for College at USC, regardless of completion at another institution.
How long can I expect the course to take?
Part 1 of AlcoholEdu® will take approximately 60-75 minutes to complete.
Part 2 of AlcoholEdu® will take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete.
I’m not 21, but I still drink. Will my answers be private?
The AlcoholEdu® course will include surveys about your personal health behaviors to help personalize your experience and measure students’ alcohol-related attitudes and behaviors. All survey responses are confidential; USC will only receive information about the student body as a whole and never your individual answers as a student.
What about technical issues?
If you have problems loading the module or receive error messages, please contact TrojanLearn Tech Support at email@example.com AND include the following information in your message:
- First and Last Name
- USC Student ID Number
- USC NetID/E-mail (if sending from a non-USC e-mail account, e.g. @gmail.com)
- Screenshot of what you are seeing in MyUSC or TrojanLearn