- Use lowercase for bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree.
- Use uppercase for Bachelor of Arts, Master of Science, etc.
- Use lowercase for general education.
- University Park Campus; Health Sciences Campus
- Lowercase, except when used with full names.
- history department; Department of History
- Capitalize the first letter of all words except most prepositions, articles and the second word of a hyphenated compound. Capitalize the second word of a hyphenated compound if it is the last word of a heading or headline. Capitalize the following prepositions: from, through, into.
- Career Center Helps Graduates Jump-Start
- Capitalize job titles only when they immediately precede the individual’s name.
- President C. L. Max Nikias; C. L. Max Nikias, president of USC
- Capitalize “S” when referring to Southern California, the region.
Majors and programs
- Lowercase academic majors and minors unless the major includes a word that is normally capitalized.
- history major, English major
- Capitalize formal names of programs.
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program
Offices and departments
- Capitalize formal office names.
- Orientation Programs, but lowercase orientation- USC Alumni Association; but lowercase alumni association- USC Bookstore; the bookstore
Sessions and semesters
- Lowercase fall, spring, summer
USC names, schools and campuses
- Capitalize the University of Southern California and USC but lowercase “the university.”
- USC Board of Trustees, USC Board of Directors.
- Trojan Family. Family is uppercase.
- Always use a capital C for Commencement.
Chairs and Professorships
- Capitalize the name of endowed chairs and professorships.
- Henry Salvatori Chair in Computer Science