- Do not use as an abbreviation for and. Use the ampersand only when it is part of an official name.
- Use periods with two-letter degrees and no periods with most three-letter degrees. See Academic degrees.
- Use B.A., B.S., M.A., M.S., MBA, Ed.D., Ph.D., etc.
- Does not need to be spelled out on first use.
- Use general education not GE.
- Use periods and spaces between C. and L. in President C. L. Max Nikias.
- Use periods but do not use spaces when a person uses initials instead of a first name in all other cases.
- Example: H.L. Mencken
- U.S. as an adjective; United States as a noun