USC Student Affairs and Campus Life

Christina Davis

Director, Office for Residential Education

By L. Alexis Young

Christina DavisPhoto by Dietmar QuistorfChristina Davis

As the new director for Residential Education, Christina Davis has hit the ground running, spending her first weeks on campus leading training and development sessions for resident advisers (RA).

Davis was an RA as an undergraduate at the College of New Jersey where she earned a BA in English, and active in affirmative action issues as a graduate student at Michigan State University where she received a master’s in student affairs administration. She believes those experiences led her to a career in residential education.

“I wasn’t a troubled student, but I didn’t necessarily fit in as a college student. I was the only black student on my floor my first year,” Davis explained. “As I started to learn more and read more about social justice issues, I found my passion. One of the things I definitely appreciate about USC and our vision as a department is that one of our core values is inclusion and another is social responsibility.”

As director, Davis will supervise the assistant directors and resident advisers and oversee residential programming and crisis prevention and response.
“My goal is to meet with every RA – we have 157 – because they are the pulse of the department,” said Davis, who has more than a decade of residential education experience.

Before joining the Trojan Family, Davis served as director of Residential Life Programs at MIT, director of the Center for Equality and Cultural Understanding as well as director of student life at Princeton University, assistant director at both Temple University and the University of Vermont, and resident director at Syracuse University. She’s active in Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA) and currently serves on its Undergraduate Fellows Board and Placement Exchange Committee.

A New Jersey native who has never lived farther west than Michigan, Davis has a love for college sports, pop culture trivia and running half-marathons. She said she is “excited to explore L.A. and all that California has to offer.”