USC Student Affairs and Campus Life

Emily Sandoval

Assistant Director, Office for Residential Education

By Diane Ver Steeg Anderson

Emily SandovalPhoto by Dietmar QuistorfEmily Sandoval

As a new assistant director for Residential Education, Emily Sandoval is eager to “be a part of a changing and dynamic department.”

“As a learning opportunity that is very appealing,” said Sandoval, who earned her Master of Education in Postsecondary Administration and Student Affairs from the USC Rossier School of Education in 2004 and will be working toward her Ed.D. in fall 2014.

In her new role, Sandoval oversees the east area, which includes housing for over 2,000 spring admit freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, transfer students, international students and families.

“Basically we work with every student population except traditional freshmen,” said Sandoval. “We educate them through programming and make sure that they have a good overall USC experience.”

In her new role, Sandoval plans to keep her staffing unit cohesive by keeping lines of communication flowing. “I am big on communication,” said Sandoval. “I already told my team that in order to be successful in such a large area we need to exemplify strong communication and model that down so it is not just at the senior staff level, but also at the resident adviser (RA) level.”

Sandoval is also working with her team to create an identity for the east area. The challenge, she noted, is to unite an area with a diverse population that has different needs.

Prior to her return to USC, Sandoval worked for the last five years at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo as a learning community coordinator for the sophomore success program. This followed a four-year stint as a resident director for the University of California, Riverside, where she also earned her bachelor’s degree in English.

She’s involved in the Western Association of College and University Housing Officers (WACUHO) where she’s served on the executive board for two years; she especially likes bringing new ideas to her day-to-day work.

“I am really lucky that I found my niche and I love it,” said Sandoval, who grew up in La Puente, Calif. “Finding something you love is rare.”